Wednesday, December 1, 2010

History of Scion

Those of you who know me know that I am a hardcore Toyota enthusiast.  You may be wondering why I would be considering a Scion.  Well, Scions are Toyotas.  Some of the models are branded as Toyotas in their home market.  For example, the Scion xB is the Toyota xB in Japan (or used to be, anyway).

One of the great things about the Scion xB is that it is manufactured in Japan.  I've owned Toyotas that have been built both in Japan and Canada (had a 2001 Solara built in Cambridge).  I must say, the Canadian -built cars are of a high quality, I've just found the Japanese-built ones seem a little tighter.  Maybe it's just me.  So the fact that the xB is manufactured in Japan is a huge plus in my mind.

The Scion xB is actually manufactured by Kanto Auto Works, of which Toyota owns 51%.  I believe this is the same company that built the Celica, and I love my Celica.  Good quality stuff coming from these guys!

Anyway, as promised, here is a brief history of Scion from Wikipedia:

Scion is a marque of vehicles produced by Toyota Motor Corporation for the North American market. Founded in 2002, Scion's long-term goal is to appeal to Generation Y consumers. The first Scion models, the xA hatchback and xB wagon, went on sale in California in 2003,[1]followed by a sports coupe, the tC, and a nationwide U.S. launch in 2004.[1] A successor to the xA, the xD,[2] premiered in 2008, and the Scion marque expanded to Canada in 2010. The Scion lineup uses a one-trim, simplified purchase process,[2] and the marque has relied upon guerrilla and viral marketing techniques. The Scion name, meaning the descendant of a family or heir, refers both to the marque's cars and their owners.

No comments:

Post a Comment