Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Sunday Drive in the Scion tC

Decided to try something with the Scion tC that I would never try with my Celica - installing my daughter's carseat in the back seat.  The back seat of the Scion tC is actually fairly roomy for a two-door coupe and the standard childseat anchors are provided, so the process was pretty straightforward.  Getting her into, and out of the seat wasn't too terrible.  I actually had enough room, with the front seat slid forward, to climb into the back seat area and squat so that I could tighten her belts.  I think I proved that it is possible to use the tC as a family car, although not the most convenient.

The trunk certainly had more than enough room for the usual baby-related stuff - stroller, diaper bag, etc.  This is one of my favourite features of cars like this - the two-door coupes with the liftbacks.  The liftback allows for a large opening into the trunk, and with the rear seats folded down quite a bit of trunk space.

Anyway, we headed out for our Sunday drive.  Up Highway 27 and then west along the 8th Line into Beeton, Ontario.  It occurred to me that this may be the very first time Beeton has been visited by the Scion!  Who really knows?  Had a bit of a swing at the park and headed out for our next stop.
The Scion tC in Beeton, Ontario.

Next up was the bustling town of Tottenham, Ontario.  I hadn't realized it before but Tottenham actually has their own community centre, and it was very busy on Sunday morning.  This compliments their conservation area and steam train.

It was this bit of driving that really highlighted the tC's touring capabilities.  The car was very comfortable for the three of us.  The available power was quite adequate for the cruising we were doing, and the fuel economy gauge kept reporting better numbers as the drive went along.  

I have found the suspension to be a little choppy at slower speeds - say 50km/h or less - but once travelling along at the speed limit of 80km/h on the back roads the suspension is a delight. Very smooth and stable.  I believe it is a car I could drive all day long.  All in all, the tC proved to be an excellent Sunday drive car, and showed that it would be suitable for longer trips with the family.



No comments:

Post a Comment