Thursday, March 17, 2011

Scion Canada to have a motorsports contingency program?

First heard this rumor that Scion Canada might be supporting Canadian motorsports with a contingency program on the CASC-OR message board.  It might even involve cash!  So I tweeted Scion Canada:
And this is the response I got back:
If this comes to fruition I think it will be a very good marketing tool for Scion.  Building some awareness in the motorsports community will only help in the long run.  Potentially it leads teams to run a Scion over another brand, which leads to more exposure, which builds credibility among the fans.


It used to be "race on Sunday, sell on Monday", but it takes a lot more than that now.  Scion is already involved in some racing, but a more grassroots-based program is a great approach.  I'm involved in autoslalom, and probably the most popular car is the Mazda MX-5 (Miata).  You watch one of those cars rip around a course, faster than higher horsepower and more expensive cars and you'll want one too - trust me.  If I could fit into one better I might have one in my driveway right now.  


Having said that, I'd still love to pick up an xB, throw some TRD suspension parts on it, a set of R-compounds and surprise a few people at the first autoslalom of the year.  Sadly, when I'm out at the events I am typically one of only a couple of Toyotas there, sometimes the only one.  


If the contingency program falls into place I hope it will really support the grassroots racers in this country.  It would certainly build Scion's name in the racing community.


NOTE: If you are looking to get into some grassroots, low cost racing of your own, I strongly recommend checking out the SoloOntario website.  There you can find out about Solo 1 Time Trials and Solo 2 Autoslalom.  These events are tons of fun in a safe and friendly environment.

No comments:

Post a Comment